A live stream of today’s Graduation Ceremony can be found on our Facebook webpage! Follow us at @sd60npss and use the hashtag #npssgrad.
The NPSS Senior Alternate program has successfully been working on projects to benefit both Fort St. John, and the international community. Right now they are wrapping up a year-long project to help the homeless in our community.
Throughout this past school year, the program has completed projects such as sending Christmas shoeboxes, which are small boxes filled with gifts, to less fortunate children of Africa. The program also sponsored a family during Christmas and bought them Christmas dinner and gifts which hopefully helped the family have an amazing Christmas.
In addition, they have also cleaned up the school grounds and they have brought greeting cards to the seniors at Peace Villa Care Home to brighten their day.
Earlier this year, the class held a clothing and coin drive to provide warm clothing and supplies to the shelter. Walmart Canada also contributed a $1000 grant to this project.
Currently, Ronin Medcalfe, who is the lead organizer for the homeless project, is working on getting lockers for the homeless living in our community to use to keep their belongings safe.
“I think it makes them feel good, like somebody cares,” said Ronin Medcalfe. He’s been working on this project since last year when his proposal letter was read at City Council.
“They need somewhere to put their stuff where it won’t be stolen; their wallets, ID’s, things that they treasure most,” said Medcalfe. Right now Ronin is working on the final stages of buying the lockers and getting them installed at the homeless shelter.
“Every homeless person in Fort St. John who uses the shelter will have access to the lockers,” said Medcalfe. The Salvation Army was more than happy to work with Ronin and the other students on this project.
“Receiving these donations means a lot to the community that we serve,” said Cameron Eggie, Executive Director for the Northern Centre of Hope. “It shows our guests that people do care about them and it shows our frontline staff that the community supports their work.” ~ Cassie Westergaard
Mr. Churchill’s Physics students present their Rube Goldberg machines to the students at Robert Ogilvie.
We have had a fantastic response to our Mascot contest and the result was two excellent choices for North Peace Secondary. We need YOU, our student body to give us a tie breaker between two new Mascots that will serve for North Peace for years to come: The North Peace Grizzlies and the North Peace Timberwolves. Make your vote here!
Student achievement was celebrated on Awards Night last week at NPSS. Students received certificates and awards for their dedication, focus, and hard work. Top student awards were given for classes, making the Honor Roll and Principal’s Honor Roll.
PROM 2018 is happening this Saturday… June 16th
- 2:00-4:00 Classic Cars Photo Opportunity at Centennial Park Gardens
- 4:30-6:30 Doors Open / Registration
- 6:15 Dinner at the Curling Rink
- Formal Dinner & Dance ~ Hot Meal, Desserts, Candy Bar
- DJ & Photographer ~Darcy Shawchek
- Lights, Sound & Photo Booths ~ Russell Eggleston
- Door Prizes
- Plus more surprises
- You must have your ticket and Photo ID for entrance!
As we approach the end of the school year, we thought to pass along some information to parents as they prepare for the summer and look to also prepare for the fall:
- Grad Transitions Cut Off Date~All GT assignments are due on/before Monday, June 18th. All grade 12’s are required to complete the assignments in order to graduate.
- Locker Clean Out~Tuesday, June 19th @ 2:45pm
- Long Blocks~Wednesday, June 20th: Period 1 in the morning/Period 3 in the afternoon; Thursday, June 21st: Period 2 in the morning/Period 4 in the afternoon.
- Grad Rehearsal & BBQ~Thursday, June 21st @ 3:45pm at the NP Arena with BBQ to follow back at main campus
- Grad Ceremony~ Friday, June 22 @ 1:30 at the NP Arena. Grads expected at Field House in caps/gowns between 12:45 and 1pm.
- Grand March~Friday, June 22 @ 8pm at the NP Arena. Grads are expected to be lined up in their prom outfits arounds 7:30pm.
- CHOICE Course Cut-Off Date~All assignments for Term 4 and Grade-specific assignments are due On June 18th. As all students are registered in this credited class, completion of assignments will dictate your final mark in the course that will be illustrated in your report cards.
- Grade 10 & 11 Numeracy Exams are on Monday, June 25th & Tuesday, June 26th (times and locations will be shared the week prior.
- Grade 12 English 12 Provincial is on Monday, June 25th @8:30am
- Grade 12 Communications 12 Provincial is on Wednesday, June 27th @8:30am
- Last day for students / Report Card Pick-Up (if hard copy is requested)~Thursday, June 28th.
- Last day for staff~Friday, June 29th.
- School Closes July 2nd – August 24th.
- School office opens Monday, August 27th 9am-4pm.
- Grade 10 & new 11’s First day of classes for 2018-2019 school year/Half Day~Tuesday, Sept 4th.
Congratulations to Jacob Vanvolkenburg and Liam Stregger for placing 5th overall in Robotics at Skills Canada! They competed against teams from across Canada in Edmonton this week with a robot they programmed, designed and built. The Robotics program at North Peace Secondary School is taught by tireless Mr. Churchill, and incorporates math, physics, computer engineering, 3-D printing and well prepares students for careers to in science, technology and engineering.
The Girls Soccer team is back from provincials and the Girls secured 10th place. This is the top placing NPSS has secured in girls soccer in the history of the sport here in FSJ. For the entirety of the tournament, NPSS was the only team not to collect a yellow card for infractions. The NPSS Soccer team was awarded the fair play award and Jaime McPherson was named to the Commissioners 11 for her valuable efforts in the tournament.
Now accepting applications up to June 20th, 2018 for September! You can find our application at www.studyinthepeace.com.
Good luck to our VEX Robotics team as they represent British Columbia at the Skills Canada National Championship!