All Athletics news and sports updates will be posted here throughout the year!
April 9, 2018
The Senior Girls Soccer Team was down in Vancouver at the UBC Women’s Soccer Tournament. This was the team’s first test of the season and the girls did well among the best of the province. Although they lost their first two games, they were very close. In the latter part of the tournament, they secured two wins, 1-0 and 6-2. This is a great start to kick off the season for our girls.
The Boys Rugby Team is headed to the St. Joes Celtic Rugby 7’s tournament this weekend. The boys have been practicing hard at the field house and this starting test will let the team put their hard work to practice.
The Track and Field Team is starting up. Mrs. Pimm will be holding their first meeting this week.
February 19, 2018
The Junior Boys wrapped up their season at the Dawson Zones this weekend. The boys put up a commendable effort. They played off against the best of the Northern Zone and were very close in each of their games. The competition was fierce, but the boys persevered and ended up in 5th place. Liam Peterson was named MVP by Coach Lumley for his significant efforts in the tournament.
The Junior Girls also had a great wrap up to their season. They laid it all on the line this tournament and played their best among the best of the North. The Girls landed 4th place but were commended as the most sportsmanlike team of the tournament. Of note, Mackenzie O’Brien, Kaylie Willeboordse, Alandra Herrling and Jordynn McPherson were each awarded MVPs for their respected games.
The Senior boys and girls are in practice mode this week in preparation for Provincials which begin at the end of the month. They are off to the community selling powercards to raise money to help fund their trip down south.
The Senior Girls Curling Team is also in preparation, getting ready to take on the south in New Westminister for the BC Curling Provincials.
February 13, 2018
Big news for NPSS Juniors this weekend. Both the boys and girls teams played off in the 2018 Northern Junior Basketball Regional Tournament this weekend held at NPSS.
The Junior Girls came out strong and beat all local teams to win the championship – undefeated. The girls have earned their spot for the Northern Zones held at Prince George Secondary School starting this Thursday.
The Junior boys also had an epic weekend. They took the championship facing off against their old foes, DCSS. Of note, their semi-final game against Dawson was truly a nail-biter. Boys were down 46-47 to Dawson with seconds left on the clock. Ref called a hold and sent Ethan Lang to the free throw line who dropped two in the bucket to beat out Dawson. A game for the books for sure.
The Senior Boys and Girls were off to the Beaverlodge Home tournament this weekend. The boys took the tournament, winning first place – a final match up before heading to provincials which are slated for the first week of March.
The Senior Girls played well and came up with third place on the podium. They are off to Worsely this Wednesday with the Junior Girls to run a set of games with Northern Alberta’s contenders before they launch off to Provincials at month’s end.
January 8, 2018
After a well-deserved break, the Senior Boys and Girls Basketball Teams are off to Grande Prairie this weekend to take on the Stonebridge Hotel Wolves Senior Basketball Classic Tournament.
On Friday, the Junior Girls Basketball team is taking on their first test at the Correlieu Junior Girls’ Basketball Tournament in Quesnel. This will be a good measure of the Girls’ hard work at practice to date.
Dec. 18th, 2017
The Senior Boys and Girls Teams were off to Edmonton this weekend to take on the Scona Classic Basketball tournament. The competition was upper tier but both teams played hard.
The Senior Girls landed 4th place with Grace Giesbrecht, Celine Quigley and Claire Turner as MVPs for the tournament.
The Senior Boys fought hard and had challenge throughout the tournament. They battled hard for a 7th place finish with Mackenzie Jibrin and Mason Miranda as MVPs.
The teams are off for the break and will pick back up in January after a well deserved rest from the road
- The Senior Boys and Girls Basketball teams were off to Sturgeon Composite High School North of Edmonton. The Girls played hard and earned first place in the consolation round. Of note were Kristina Rea, Azaria Richards and Te’a Brown as MVPs for the tournament.
- The Senior Boys play very well earning third place, a reward well suited to their efforts as a first test against Edmonton calibre teams.
- The big story this week was the Junior Boys team who were down at the PGSS Ice Breaker. The boys came out strong and won every game to place them in the finals. They battled hard, but came up short earning a second place finish – still an honourable result. Keep an eye on this team as they are looking very strong this season.
- The Senior Boys and Girls are off to the Scona Basketball Tournament in Edmonton this weekend for their second challenge in Edmonton
- The Senior Girls wrapped up their season with a strong performance down at the BC Provincials held at the Langley Event Centre. They beat Kelowna the first day which was a big upset for the southern team. They lost against Moscrop, but were never more than a 3 point spread in their games. They finished 16th overall.
- The Senior Boys and Girls basketball teams were off to Grande Prairie to the Stonebridge Senior High Tournament at the Grande Prairie Regional College. The Girls team found their footing and earned second place on the consolation side. The Boys did very well for their first test, placing 3rd overall in the tournament. Mackenzie Jibrin and Elgen Hallarda were the MVPs for our team and its a great start to our season – we beat Dawson Creek in that third-place game, our strong competitor for the region.
- The Senior Boys and Girls Teams are off to Edmonton this Thursday to take on the Rise Up Basketball tournament at Sturgeon Composite High School. It should be a great test for our teams and top level competition.
- The Girls Sr Volleyball team is currently gearing up for the Provincial championships. Practices continue this week for the girls.
- The Junior and Senior Boys Basketball teams are set and practices have begun.
- Jr and Sr Girls Basketball team tryouts continue with teams expected to be set this week.
- The Senior Boys and Girls Teams headed off to Peace River to take on the Peace Classic Volleyball Tournament. The Boys firmed up a third place spot in their pool, but struggled in their consolation semi final and lost. The Senior Girls played off against some fierce competition but held their own until their quarter finals against Peace Wapiti Academy, a Provincial caliber team. This match went 3 sets and North Peace put up a good effort but lost, earning a 5th place position.
- The Junior Girls were off to Prince George this weekend to take on the zones. The Girls played hard and landed 5th which wraps up their 2017 season.
- Senior Boys Basketball tryouts wrapped up this Friday and the team has been set. Practices start up for the Boys this week (Tuesday and Thursday) at 5:30 both days.
- Junior and Senior Girls tryouts kick off this week on Wednesday Nov 15th at 5:30 for both groups.
- Junior Boys Basketball Tryouts hit the floor on Tuesday Nov 14th from 5:30-7:30
Busy weekend for our sports teams – here are the highlights and upcoming events
- Cross Country wrapped up their provincials down in Vancouver at Jericho Beach. It was a very fast run and our students put in a huge effort. Congratulations on a year of hard work and many thanks to our head coach Rachel Auras who trained and guided our students through the program this season.
- The Junior Volleyball team headed off to regionals at Don Pettigrew Christian School in Dawson Creek. The girls played hard and earned bronze in the tournament – they have earned one of two births in the North and are now headed to Prince George this weekend to take on the zones!
- The Peace River Classic is set for this weekend for the Senior Boys and Girls Volleyball teams. It’s their final in season tournament test and is shaping up to serve some good competition.
- The Senior Boys Basketball is starting up this week – Tryouts begin this Thursday Nov 9th and 10th.
After a weekend of rest our athletes are back in the game this week:
- The Cross Country Team is headed to provincials in Vancouver this weekend, Nov. 3rd and 4th. Our qualifiers from Zones are Dustin Bowes, Allison Ostle and Jaime McPherson who will take on the race which is being held at Jericho Beach.
- The Junior Volleyball team is off to Ron Pettigrew Christian School in Dawson Creek to play off for the Regionals. The girls have worked hard this season and the qualifying teams will be sent to zones in Prince George.
A special thank you to our NPSS Parent Advisory Counsil for the continued financial support of our Athletics Program!
- The NPSS Home tournament this weekend offered some intense competition and great gameplay. The Senior Girls fended off some top level teams but came up just shy of the podium, placing 4th overall. MVP for NPSS was Daelyn Jeffers, well done!
- The Senior Boys went up against some tough competition and came out placing second overall for the tournament. Stew Skaffe was honoured as the MVP for NPSS.
- The Junior Girls Volleyball team was off to Dawson this weekend for their tournament. The girls played well, locking up the second place position.
- At Cross Country, NPSS travelled down to Prince George for Zones. For Senior Girls, Allison Ostle placed top for North Peace with a 12th place finish overall and Jaime McPherson shored up the 15th place position.
- For our Senior Boys Cross Country, Dustin Bowes ran a solid race securing the 8th place postion. The next and final test is Provincials on November 3rd and 4th in Vancouver at Jericho Beach.
- The Boys Soccer Team was down in Williams Lake for their Zones challenger. NPSS came out on top winning both games 1-0 and 4-1. MVP was David Amrovhe with three goals to pull NPSS to the wins. Also of notable performance were James Velkjar, Tony Hafner and Mason Miranda.
- The teams finally get a break for the week as they prepare for the road ahead with regionals and zones wrapping up their seasons.
The NPSS Cross Country Team took on Dawson Creek at our inaugural ‘Escape From Fish Creek’ Cross Country Run. Dustin Bowes shored up third place in the challenging boys senior category. The NPSS girls ran very well and took the top three spots with Jordynn McPherson in 1st place, Kenzie Chilcott in 2nd and Emma Lang in 3rd. The Cross Country Team is headed to Prince George this weekend to take on the zones for the North. The Senior Boys and Girls Volleyball Team were off to the Pow Wow Tournament at Grande Prairie Composite High School. The Boys had a good challenge in GP nailing 2nd in their pool, but then lost their first match, and lost in the consolation semi–finals. The Senior Girls did very well on day one, finishing first in their pool. The team defeated Chetwynd and went undefeated on Friday. On day two they took a blow and lost to Dawson Creek, and then lost the bronze medal match. This week is our home tournament (Saturday, Oct 21). The Senior Boys and Girls will test their skills on home turf for the day. The Soccer team is headed off to Williams Lake this week to take on Williams Lake Secondary which will be our challenger for the zones.
The Trackers (the unofficial NPSS hockey team) also won on Friday 4-2 against Fort McMurray.
The Junior Girls Volleyballl team were in Spirit River Alberta to take on the 2017 Junior Renegade ‘A’ Volleyball Tournament – they brought home the Gold! The Cross Country team headed to Dawson’s Creek Sneak run at the Bear Mountain XC Ski Trails on Saturday. Our girls did very well with Kenzie Chilcott placing 1st, Emma Lang placing 2nd as Seniors and Jordyn McPherson placing 3rd as a Junior. For the Boys Dustin Bowes placed 7th. The Boys Soccer Team was down to Kamloops to the Sa-Hali Soccer Tournament. They had a tough run and racked up two losses and two shootout losses. Quinlam Snider was named MVP for the tournament. The Sr Boys and Girls Volleyball teams are off to Dawson Creek this weekend to take on the DCSS Thanksgiving Classic Tournament. This is the Boys’ first tournament for the season – a great test for all the hard work at practices this past month.
The Senior and Junior Girls had a great time at the Big Red Tournament in Grande Prairie. The Seniors came 2nd in their first pool, but were beaten in day two. As this was primarily a Senior’s tournament, the Juniors did well to hold their own.
- Senior and Junior Girls Volleyball teams are headed to Whitecourt this Friday and Saturday – Sept 22-23
- Boys Soccer team has been set – 17 NPSS Players are headed to Prince George to take on the Westside Warriers this weekend – Sept 22-23
- Boys Senior Volleyball team are hitting the courts for practice Mon/Wed/Fri 3:30-530
- Cross Country is starting up this week, first practice today at NPSS Gym Foyer at 3:30 with Rachael Auras and Emily Robb.
- Senior Girl’s Volleyball Tryouts Start This Week! Sept 5th 3:30-5:30 and Sept 6th 5:30-7:30. See Mr. Lynn for details!
- Lace up those Cleats~Boy’s Soccer Tryouts Start This Week! Sept 7th, 8th and 11th 3:30-5:30. See Mr. Leclair or Mr. Lynn for details!