Each year the Senior Alt students of North Peace Secondary brainstorm and pitch humanitarian projects to each other. These projects, whether they be community-specific or world-wide, aim to improve society as a whole. During this holiday season, the students decided to fundraise for these associations and efforts:Â
- The Womenâ€™s Resource Society and the cold-weather shelter
- Sponsoring a family of 4 through the Phoenix Volunteer Club
- Oceana, a non-profit organization that aims to restore the oceans.
- Firefighters Charitable Society and Easter Seals BC who help families with medical travel expenses
- Building cold weather shelters for stray animals in Fort St John
- Creating care kits for victims of sexual assaults
This year we have held a bake sale, chili and bannock sale, and a bottle drive. We are also hosting a lunchtime coffee shop on December 11. We are currently collecting coins and cash, food, warm clothing and toys in our Christmas drive. We are taking orders for homemade Christmas gifts until Friday.
So far the program has raised over $2000 which will go towards monetary donations and completing community efforts. The program as a whole would like to thank North Peace Secondary School and the community for their support, as none of this would be possible without it.Â Thank you! ~ written by Brenna Halbert